While this property is not connected to the famous Gause family it is surely steeped in history. Home on property in disrepair. No entry allowed. Mr. William Gause was a famous plantation owner in the Ocean Isle Beach area during the 1700's. He had a plantation home on Gause Landing Road. Mr. Gause's tomb is on Hale Swamp Road. The Gause Plantation reached from Gause Landing Road to the ocean and inland for thousands of acres. The end of both Gause Landing Road and Seaside Landing Road were once thriving ports in an otherwise very desolate area. Sailing vessels on high tide would come in through Tubbs Inlet and sail to these landings to unload their cargo. These vessels would then be loaded with tar, pitch, and turpentine and depart for England. Grab this historic location and rebuild! Brunswick County Historical research reports the following information about the subject area. Gause Landing Historic District, Gause Landing: The village of Gause Landing fronts the tidal creeks and Intracoastal Waterway across from Ocean Isle Beach. The village has eighteenth-century roots and remnants of tabby construction have been discovered on the waterfront. An 1864 Confederate engineers map shows a cluster of four buildings at the location, probably warehouses and worker dwellings associated with a nearby Gause plantation. One of the buildings may have been the eighteenth-century home of the Gauses. The community in its present form dates to the early 1930s when a Captain Williamson subdivided his acreage and sold lots. The 1943 Shallotte USGS quad map shows about a dozen buildings. A whimsical vacation home is the Rufus Brown House, built for a Fayetteville lumber mill owner in the 1920s or possibly the 1930s. The unusual construction of the house features halved logs joined at the corners by saddle notches, and the entries have roughsawn Dutch doors hung on heavy iron hinges that are believed to be reused rail car hinges. Inside, log trusses span a great room with a stone fireplace. From the same period is the 1930s Bridger-Lineberger Clubhouse, a spacious albeit plain weatherboard-sided frame lodge built by a Bladenboro textile executive for the use of his employees. At least two houses date to before the 1920s-30s resort era, among them the ca. 1900 Lee and Sadie Pigott House (SUBJECT PROPERTY ORIGINAL LAND OWNERS) and the more altered Cox House, possibly built in the 1890s. About a half dozen Craftsman bungalows comprise the remaining houses. One of the outstanding features of the village is its moss-draped canopy of live oaks. The district could be proposed under Criterion A: community planning and development or entertainment/recreation in addition to Criterion C: architecture.